Mayor compliments casino despite recent stabbing, shooting and large party
By JOSH RESNEK
The casino and hotel logged a difficult few days last week with a shooting, a stabbing and a large private party in one of the hotel’s larger suites – a combination of events that has motivated Encore to clamp down on security.
The upping in safety measures is intended to enhance confidence in the safety of the casino and hotel for those who come to gamble or to stay overnight at the facility.
Encore officials have changed its policies and protocols to meet the challenge of some of its visitors’ violent behavior as well as to stop larger groups from having parties in hotel rooms, which runs against the state’s anti-virus rules and regulations.
Hotel officials put a cap on how many people can be in an Encore hotel suite or room at once.
There will be a substantial fine – perhaps $1000 – for guests who violate the rules, company officials said Thursday.
Company officials said they would be kicked out of their rooms as well.
Massachusetts presently limits indoor gatherings to 25 people – 8 people per 1000 square feet of accessible floor space, in order to limit the spread of the Coronavirus.
Casino officials repeated their assertions that Encore has zero tolerance for irresponsible of unsafe behavior on their property.
Due to the large party reported last week, company officials said security personnel will now be patrolling the hotel’s hallways.
The violent incidents were more problematic. Although Encore’s security is considered first rate, two violent incidents in one week represents an intolerable situation for the company, those who visit the facility and for the city of Everett.
State Police said that David Guante, 30, of Natick, allegedly stabbed a 24-year-old Lynn man and fled to the parking lot across the street. State Police arrested him in the parking lot and recovered a small knife apparently used in the incident.
The stabbing occurred in the main cashier cage of the casino during an altercation that occurred at 2 a.m.
The stabbing victim was rushed to the Massachusetts General Hospital. His injuries were not life threatening. He was conscious and alert when police questioned him. He described his assailant.
The Thursday stabbing was preceded by a Sunday shooting, when Daryl Brown, 29, of Randolph argued with a man in the casino just prior to the incident.
Brown allegedly waited for the man outside the casino garage.
He followed him to Sweetser Circle, where he allegedly shot multiple rounds into the man’s vehicle.
The mayor issued a release praising Encore.
“Encore Boston Harbor has made safety and wellbeing of their guests a top priority since their opening. I have no doubt the patrons of the casino remain safe and protected.”