Fire ravages The Scrubbing Board

Everett firefighters battled the smoky blaze but the business is thought to be a total loss. (Photo courtesy of Stanley Forman)

No injuries reported as damage estimates range close to $700K

By JOSH RESNEK

The Scrubbing Board on Hancock Street, one of this city’s major launderettes, suffered a fire in its ceiling Monday.

The business was destroyed but the owner, John Mattuchio, said it will be rebuilt completely.

Matuccio estimated the loss at $500,000- $750,000.

“I believe the fire started in the ceiling and was confined to the ceiling and roof. The firefighters believe the fire must have started from an electrical malfunction of wiring in the ceiling,” he added.

Mattuchio, a well- known Everett businessman and the former president of the local Kiwanis Club, said he was grateful for the great effort made by the Everett Fire Department to minimize the loss.

The Scrubbing Board on Hancock Street was devastated by a fire Monday afternoon. Above, a look at the ruined interior of the laundromat. ( Photo by Jim Mahoney)


“A firefighter found my cash bag in the back office and returned it to me. Honesty like that today is over the top,” said Mattuchio.

The business suffered the loss of its late-model stainless steel washers and driers. The roof needs to be repaired and replaced. All the plate glass windows were broken by the firefighters to vent the store.

Thousands of gallons of water were poured onto the roof and seeped into the launderette causing water damage everywhere.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s