The death on Madison Street last week of two women trapped on the second floor of a raging inferno during a three alarm fire that consumed the multifamily structure should be a reminder to us all about how fragile our safety is in our homes.
This Madison Street structure was eaten alive by the fire in a matter of minutes.
Wooden homes especially, and multi-families in particular, can go up in flames in an instant, trapping residents inside with circumstances such that firefighters arriving minutes later cannot penetrate the flames, the severe heat and the thick smoke.
This is exactly what happened last week when Everett firefighters arriving on the scene made heroic efforts to gain entry to the second floor.
According to firefighters, the fire was bad enough but that the rooms and hallways crowded with furniture and clothes and piles of bric a brac made maneuvering inside an impossibility.