Testing and vaccinations continue in Everett while at the same time new cases of the COVID and the more deadly variant are popping up in increasing numbers.
Everett city government has not proposed plans to deal with this new onslaught of the virus that wreaked havoc all last year causing thousands to get sick and hundreds to die.
At the state level, the governor and state health officials remain confident that a return to yesterday will not be occurring here.
However, the resurgence of the virus and the variant are now running amok, especially in those states where much of the population believes the virus, the sickness it causes, and deaths are a government plot.
The largest number of new cases everywhere is coming from the parts of the population that have refused to be vaccinated.
Refusing vaccination for those with pre-existing medical conditions and now for school-age youth, can be a death sentence.
Many supporters of former President Donald Trump believe masks are useless and that the vaccines are loaded with mind-controlling or lethal ingredients.
The facemasks controversy has been the cause for the widespread of the virus.
The Everett Public Schools held a Covid-19 mobile vaccine clinic at Everett High School on Friday, May 21.
Ward 5 School Committee member Marcony Almeida-Barros helped to bring the MobileVax clinic, a collaborative effort of Tufts Health Plan, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, and the East Boston Neighborhood Health Center to the school.
Everett’s Health Department reported 120 new cases of COVID-19 during the past seven days.
This indicates that the virus continues to have a stronghold here, and in many Massachusetts cities and towns despite everyone’s best effort.
Nationwide more than half the United States population has been vaccinated.
Many millions have said they will not get vaccinated, a disconcerting situation since the virus cannot be eliminated until all Americans have been vaccinated.
From April 14 to the present, Massachusetts has been reporting between 2200-1400 new cases of the virus every day.
Those people who have received two vaccination shots are allowed to visit with those who haven’t been vaccinated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health insists that masks must be worn, and social distancing must be followed.
In Las Vegas, the Las Vegas Sun and Review reported this week that older gamblers have started to return to the Wynn properties there in far greater numbers.
The return of older gamblers, one of the pillars of everyday business that is done at casinos wherever they exist, is a key component of the rising revenue figures recently reported here and in Las Vegas.
Last month, revenues rose by almost $7 million at Encore Boston Harbor in Everett.
Activity at the casino according to several employees the Leader Herald has spoken with is markedly improved.
This is because of two reasons – vaccinations against the COVID shielding the elderly from sickness, and expanded hours of gambling allowed by the state as restrictions are being removed in tandem with infections and hospitalizations going down.
“Traffic inside Las Vegas casinos is picking up again, but it’s not all driven by young travelers with pent-up demand,” it was noted in the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
Casino operators say customers 65 and over have started to return, spurred by the growing availability of COVID-19 vaccines across the country.
“As more of the older end of the customer spectrum receives vaccines and becomes more comfortable with leaving their houses … that for sure means they’ll start to step out and go back to their favorite casinos again,” said gaming consultant Josh Swissman of The Strategy Organization, as reported in the Review-Journal.